Elective Classes Offer New Learning Opportunities

Electives at San Pasqual High School that students should be aware of

More stories from Alexis Quiroz

Bri Jernberg, Multimedia Director

More stories from Bri Jernberg

Chef+Filippa+was+so+excited+to+try+her+drop+cut+biscuits+she+made.+

Chef Filippa was so excited to try her drop cut biscuits she made.

San Pasqual High School offers many elective classes designed to broaden views of different subjects. There is a wide variety of classes, but the ones that most students are attracted to include Culinary Arts and Ceramics.

Culinary is a cooking class that offers two levels: beginning and advanced. Beginning culinary introduces basic cooking to students who desire to learn how to cook.

“It’s important because one day you’re going to grow up and learn how to be independent,” senior Cecelia Sollis said. “[That’s when you will need to] know how to cook for yourself.”  

Culinary teaches students how to read ingredients and prepare the food, but it is more than a piece of paper and a spatula. The students enjoy the class and everything that is done in it.

“It’s a fun class and you learn a lot,” Sollis said.

Culinary is not the only fun elective class on campus; ceramics gives students amusement as well as a source of creativity.

“It makes me happy because I like being creative and I like [working] with my hands,” senior Stephanie Aguilar said.

Ceramics allows students to learn and gain skills on how to create different styles of pottery by using different techniques. Aguilar’s favorite project so far has been the slab pot, a project students made that involved their own ideas and designs.

“We had to measure it and do it ourselves instead of [the teacher] giving us instructions,” Aguilar said.

These two classes are just a small example of what San Pasqual has to offer out of the many other elective classes given on campus.