San Pasqual Lacrosse Team

Samantha Bredel, Staff Writer

In the 2019-2020 school year, the students at San Pasqual High School have the chance to join the brand new lacrosse team.

The new sport has caught the attention of many eager students. The high school is creating two teams, one for girls and the other for boys. Arlene Peck, a science teacher at San Pasqual, is helping organize the new sport. Teenagers are always looking for a chance to participate in extracurricular activities and have the comfort and support of a team. The first informational meeting occurred Oct.1, 2019 but there is still plenty of time for students to get involved, since lacrosse will be a spring sport.

“It’s a game that kind of encompasses concepts of field hockey, soccer, basketball… I think it fits a niche for students that might have fall and winter sports, but maybe not a spring sport that they’re passionate about,” says Peck.

One concern for students is the necessary equipment. They are required to purchase their gear, which could be upsetting for some who can’t afford it but are passionate about lacrosse. The sport is not funded, but has the potential to grow to be self-sustainable over the years. San Pasqual, however, is no different from other schools with lacrosse teams who need to purchase their equipment. The fees go towards equipment, uniforms, coaches, referees, and possibly electricity for field lights.

“I feel like it’s better to buy your equipment… it’ll make you want to play more since you’re buying [it] and you don’t want to waste [it],” says Juan Lopez, a junior who plans to participate in lacrosse for the next two years.

Denis Yeatman, a man who has grown lacrosse in schools, made an appearance at the informational meeting. Yeatman has developed 82 programs that give the players an engaging season and more than enough teams to compete against. Even a few of the teams in San Diego County are ranked nationally. San Pasqual is looking forward to expanding its physical and competitive horizons, and students couldn’t be more thrilled.

“I would love to see lacrosse here as an opportunity for students to play because I think it’s a great sport,” said Peck.