New self-defense class is coming to San Pasqual

With sex trafficking still a prevalent force in San Diego, San Pasqual High School will begin self-defense classes in order to inform students and keep them from harm.

Shelby Sanchez, Staff Writer

San Pasqual’s self-defense class hopes to shed light on sex trafficking. (Photo by Rendiansyah Nugroho on unsplash.com)

Meanwhile, some college students are working to inform the community on this issue.

“San Diego is ranked the 13th highest ring of labor and sex trafficking in the nation,” according to Alisar El-Rayess in the article “Student Changemakers Fight Human Trafficking” from the University of California at San Diego News Center.

The students interviewed in the article explain how sex trafficking is an illegal exportation that exploits the victims of sexual favors at their own will, and/or for the use of labor. Victims are lured in by predators with false job advertisements, false educational or travel opportunities, abduction, or even sale from their own families.

Anyone can be a victim of sex trafficking. However, it is more predominant in women or young girls. The article also discusses how society has the right to know how to defend themselves in these situations and learn how to protect themselves against predators.

“Knowledge is power,” said San Pasqual High School teacher Tracey Greer.

Greer will coordinate the self-defense class. Self-defense classes will start in the spring of next year.