Depression: The Undisscused Topic

Depression is one of the most critical topics at San Pasqual High School, though most people tend to leave it for someone else to take care of. 

Anastasia Evans, Staff Writer

Vivian Rendon, one of the school counselors, sees students struggling with depression on a weekly basis. Rendon says that “coming to counseling is probably the best thing because counselors are the last people that will ever judge or shame you.” She continues by saying, “usually people don’t want to talk about it because they feel ashamed.”

The Social Worker at San Pasqual High School, Geraldine O’Sullivan, mentions having a “Mindfulness Club on Mondays after school really helps with symptoms of depression.” She also says that, “many of the obvious ones [ways to deal with depression] we know about include counseling and therapy,” There are basic coping skills that students use on a day-to-day basis that can help to prevent symptoms of depression from occurring and can also help treat symptoms of depression, such as “getting enough sleep, eating nutritious food and getting daily exercise.”

Dealing with depression can also include coping skills like talking to a supportive person, a friend, or a family member. O’Sullivan also says that, “There are coping skills such as journaling that can really help, especially if it’s a gratitude journal. There have been studies that have shown that gratitude journaling can really help with symptoms of depression.”

But still, many people with depression tend to think that their condition is unimportant, or as an anonymous student says, “not taken seriously,” leading students with symptoms of depression feeling alone and unsupported.

The core problem of this crisis is the fact that people feel ashamed to talk about this condition. Know the signs of depression. Even the person you think wouldn’t have it, could.