The Dangers of Leaving a Child in the Car

Do you ever feel like you’re forgetting something? The most cruel act a parent can do is forget or purposely leave a child in a car, especially during ninety to one hundred degree weather. 

John Benitez (Unsplash.com)

A child alone in a car unsupervised.

Lucia Ayala, Editor

Do you ever feel like you’re forgetting something?

The most cruel act a parent can do is forget or purposely leave a child in a car, especially during ninety to one hundred degree weather. 

When this happens, it usually occurs at grocery stores, banks, schools, and even parks, etc. Although, leaving a child your child in a car has been very problematic. 

Parents accidentally leaving children in cars causes more deaths than strokes each year. “About 38 children in the United States die from heat stroke each year after being trapped in a car,” said Seattlechildren.org.

Deaths in cars are commonly found in younger children, usually ages three and under, rather than in children as old as fourteen or older.

“A child’s body heats up three to five times faster than an adult’s body,” said Seattlechildren.org.

According to Seattlechildren.org, there’s an explanation as to why parents may forget children in cars. It may be caused by lack of sleep, certain changes in your everyday routines, and busy schedules.

This problem can be solved by creating a very simple system, so that every time the parent exits their vehicle, they check their backseat. Systems that are also proven to make people (not just parents) more organized. 

“Your system may include setting your cell phone, purse or gym bag on the floor near your child. This will help you see your child when you open the door to get the item,” said Seattlechildren.org.

A psychology professor Mark McDaniel at the University of Washington in St. Louis says that it’s good to set reminders for yourselves and it’s good for parents and others to give themselves visual cues to help with memory.

There are many ways you could do to prevent leaving your own or someone else’s child in a car and most importantly to prevent death or injuries. But, the most effective solution is to create a system and remind yourself every time you exit a vehicle to check the backseat.