Migrants Storm Border and Create Chaos

Jocelyn Ibarra, Staff Writer

The chaotic events that have been occurring at the San Ysidro Port of Entry have escalated since immigrants began storming the border in early November.

On Sunday, November 25, 2018, American Patrol began firing tear gas at migrant families and their children for attacking the border. This busiest Port of Entry shut down temporarily due to the overcrowding, but has been reopened since. An excessive number of migrants were involved in the confrontation and many continue to protest. Students at San Pasqual High School can relate to these events because many are a part of immigrant families.

Since then, officials have been cracking down at the border, giving temporary detentions and controlling the crowd. Due to the active violence, reinforcements are being brought  in to help and diffuse the situation.

The New York Times states, “The Pentagon is considering keeping active-duty American troops on the southwestern border…. two Defense Department officials said on Wednesday, potentially extending a deployment to confront a caravan of migrants from Central America.”

Based off of this information, officials believe that this standoff will last well into January 2019.  

According to NPR.org, “An average of 90,000 people pass north through the crossing each day, 70,000 in cars and 20,000 by foot.”