Foreign Language Classes Offer New Opportunities

San Pasqual High School gives students the opportunity to learn a new language

Students of the beginning French class work hard by themselves to prepare for their test.

Yvonne Lara and Kiara Bowman

San Pasqual High School has a variety of different options for language classes that are available for students to take..

Students at San Pasqual  have the exciting opportunity to take a foreign language class and potentially expose themselves to an inside look to new cultures, all while learning a new language. Students who are already familiar with languages, either Spanish or French, can also get a chance at further developing their knowledge.

“We’ll talk about anything in French class. From where our food comes from and how to cook fancy French dishes, to terrorism and the history of the country,” San Pasqual French teacher Millie Laurs said.

Laurs makes sure she is not just a French teacher, but that she integrates creative lesson plans into the class as well so that students can learn in depth.

“She is very disciplined,” freshman at San Pasqual Emma Guerra said. “It’s actually a good thing because it helps us learn better.”

Though some people believe that French will be easier than Spanish, which is the reason that they end up taking it, the answer to whether or not it really is  might surprise you. 

“Yes, French is a little harder to learn, but that’s usually how it is with any new language,” Guerra said. “French kind of ties in with Spanish on the difficulty level.” Any language is difficult to learn if there is no context.

Getting the chance to learn a new language can be beneficial in many ways including getting a job, traveling, and in understanding different cultures.

“My class is very hands-on and students can come in with the expectation that they can participate and take chances with the Spanish language,” Spanish teacher Ramon Jaime said.

Jaime has been teaching Spanish for 22 years. The Spanish classes, like French, go deeper into the culture and the counties themselves. This offers new students the ability to further expand their knowledge.

The more a student progresses in a language, the more advanced their class becomes, leading to Advanced Placement classes, available for sophomores through seniors.  AP classes look extremely favorable on college applications and help you to earn an extra point for your GPA during high school.

“I can get my biliteracy seal [for taking the AP classes] for when I go to college; [this will help] with jobs and it looks way better on resumes,” San Pasqual senior Isai Ramos said.

Learning any language is beneficial in all aspects. Having knowledge in other languages gives individuals stronger opportunities for jobs or even a long-term career.