Should Students go to College?

Is college necessary? Many students have been debating about whether college is worth their time or not. A little more than half of high school students attend college after graduating. Although some say college is unnecessary, high school graduates should go to college to get more benefits in life.

Yeesica Santiago, Staff writer

Photo by Vasily Koloda
Going to college gives high school graduates a better future.

Is college necessary?

Many students have been debating about whether college is worth their time or not. A little more than half of high school students attend college after graduating. Although some say college is unnecessary, high school graduates should go to college to get more benefits in life.

“ … College graduates make, on average, thousands of dollars more a year than do non-college graduates,” according to the article “Why Go to College” by Glenn Geher Ph.D.

If students pick a major they are interested in and get a job, they will be working at a place they enjoy while making a good amount of money.

Many high school graduates didn’t attend college either because they did not want to or they could not. Later, they often regret not attending college. Marisol Pacheco is a 19-year-old currently working at Burger King.

“I thought college was a waste of time so after high school, I started applying for different jobs, mostly in restaurants,” Pacheco said. “After a year, I realized I missed being in school; all I do now is work [and] barely even get some time to sleep.”

Being a non-college graduate can be hard sometimes because they don’t have much experience for job applications. Many of the jobs that high school graduates get offered require working days and nights and in the end, they are still making less money than someone with a college degree.

Students should realize that college is one of the best opportunities they are offered in life. Having a college degree will positively impact their life and possibly their family’s lives in the future.