Shaming Warriors

The stigma surrounding mental illness needs to stop due to its negative impact on those affected by mental disorders.

Photo credit: Fernando @cferdo

Emma Welsch, Staff Writer

There is nothing scarier than fighting a battle against one’s brain, but that is what sufferers of mental illness are forced to do every day. Not only that, but every day is a battle to fight through the stigmatization sufferers face due to constant misunderstandings of what mental illness is. Media portrayals are one of the contributors to the stigmatization, giving people the idea that mental illnesses cause people to be dangerous or unpredictable, or giving people the idea that mental illnesses are cute quirks.

Other misunderstandings contribute to the stigma. An idea that has been spread is that mental illness is not a real illness and that being happy is simply a choice that one can make at any point. This toxic positivity and this falsely spread idea is a major contributor to the shame put on sufferers and the stigma they are prisoners of.

To help with these misunderstandings people need to be educated and understand what mental illness is rather than just learning from what they see on their T.V. or other forms of media. Tracey Greer, a teacher at San Pasqual High School, responded when questioned how she believes mental illness stigmatization could be lessened.

“Education. I mean it’s what we’re trying to do in our health classes. We’re talking about it. We’re trying to be open about it. I share how mental health has affected my life, my family’s life in the hopes that people won’t feel alone,” said Greer. 

Many students at San Pasqual High School may be directly affected by mental illness or may be living with one themselves. The fact is that no one can know for sure whether they are sitting by someone whom the topic directly affects, so be kind. Don’t spread false ideas about what mental illness is, and help end the stigma around it by not making fun of them or putting down those who have these disorders. 

“It’s hard for people to realize a person’s thoughts and emotions, and it’s even more difficult finding out the illness they have,” said Judith Foss, a student at San Pasqual High School.

Make this world a safe place. End mental health stigmatization.