Three School Districts Sue Juul Labs

In October of 2019, three school districts in Missouri, New York, and Kansas have sued the company Juul Labs Incorporated because of e-cigarette use. Juuling is a form of vaping where a person uses an electronic device to create an aerosol that is inhaled. It is considered an endangerment for students and school districts.

Kasey Gyr, Staff Writer

In October of 2019, three school districts in Missouri, New York, and Kansas have sued the company Juul Labs Incorporated because of e-cigarette use.

Juuling is a form of vaping where a person uses an electronic device to create an aerosol that is inhaled. It is considered an endangerment for students and school districts. 

One news article on the topic provides commentary:

“School districts have been uniquely and disproportionately impacted by JUUL’s conduct,” the New York lawsuit said.  “Educators are being forced to expend significant resources to combat JUUL use by students, JUUL use by students during school presents…”

JUUL’s vaping products have led to addiction.

“(They have caused) significant and ongoing nicotine abuse and addiction by students at [Francis Howell] schools,” the Missouri lawsuit said.

Additionally, the use of these products at school has hindered the districts’ mission. 

“(Vaping) frustrates the district’s ability to achieve its educational goals,” the lawsuit said. 

As of October 1, there have been 1,080 cases of lung injuries due to vaping-related activities, and 18 reported deaths, which led these districts to take action.

However, JUUL faces more than three lawsuits. 

“Juul faces more than 55 lawsuits, coordinated last week…,” the article “School Districts Sue Juul Over Marketing E-Cigs to Their Students” said. “Those cases are lawsuits by individuals who claim to have suffered pulmonary disease, seizures and other serious health problems after using Juul’s products.”

A New York Judge has blocked a state ban on most e-cigarettes after an industry group challenged and sued. Massachusetts is going to uphold this state’s ban.