Why it’s Important for Students to Participate in Artistic Activities

Art is defined as “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture.” The production of artistic work can be appreciated primarily by their beauty or emotional power. So why is it important for students to express their individual artistic abilities at school or in life?

Photo credit: Annie Gavin

Sophia Rodriguez, Editor

There are many different types of art: architecture, ceramics, computer, artistic design, drawing, graffiti, graphic, illustration, painting, performance, photography, video, and more. Participating in art can cause your creative juices to flow and create something that’s never been seen before.

“The important thing is that they are able to put their imagination and ideas into something tangible – although these are subject to other people’s comprehension and appreciation,” said Martin Price, in a blog post for artshanties.com.

Students will be able to identify themselves as successful creators of their work as it is recognized and celebrated directly as their individual ability. In contrast with other activities such as sport teams the focus is remarkably emphasized in a more skilled participant. Art shows students that they are all individually skilled, and how to create in their own style.

“Art offers more opportunities than any other activity, for self-expression, and allows children to showcase their abilities, and to be recognized by their skills at home and school, strengthening their confidence and self-esteem,” says Hands On Art 4 Everyone, a website that offers art classes.

At San Pasqual High School there are many opportunities for one to join an artistic activity. They offer ceramics, drama classes, graphic design, welding, wood shop, floral design, and plays. Art can help students with the development of motor skills, language skills, social skills, decision-making, risk-taking, and inventiveness. Art is there to remind us of the values that we uphold. It makes us realize that we may all come from different walks of life but there are some things that are undeniably common to all of us – like love, friendship, and freedom.