Juuling Crisis

This past school year at San Pasqual High School there have been dramatic measures made for students who Juul in the public bathroom and have caused others to undergo the results.

Photo credit: Michael Fallon

Dubraskca Torres and Judith Foss

This past school year at San Pasqual High School there have been dramatic measures made for students who Juul in the public bathroom and have caused others to undergo the consequences.

All around the world people are suffering the consequences of the highly addictive nicotine in Juul pods. Juuling has become a major problem, even in ‘safe’ environments. Bathrooms at San Pasqual High School have had to close down due to it becoming a place where kids Juul. Having done this, both students, those who do and don’t Juul, had to deal with the consequences.

“The Juul cigarettes have as much nicotine in them as a whole pack of cigarettes,” said Caroline Akers, the nurse at San Pasqual High School.

Meaning that not only are they unhealthy but having a tiny Juul pod is worse than a whole pack of cigarettes. 

San Pasqual health teacher Tracey Greer says,”If you look historically at what the tobacco industry does, they’re only really out to hook people and make money.” 

Since this problem isn’t only happening at San Pasqual High School but rather all around the country, President Donald Trump is thinking of solutions to make it stop. 

USA Today, (the most circulated news source in the US covering international, national, sports, and financial news) states,”President Donald Trump [is] calling a ban on thousands of e-cigarettes.”

“We need to help them understand the risks of addiction. This is not a combustible cigarette, but it still contains an enormous amount of nicotine- at least as much as a pack of cigarettes,” said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher, a Senior Author at Stanford University in her study on Juuls.