Trump should focus on building countries not the wall

Protesting+against+Trump%2C+he+should+focus+on+helping+the+countries+rather+than+building+a+wall+to+block+them+out.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump should focus on building countries not the wall

Protesting against Trump, he should focus on helping the countries rather than building a wall to block them out.

Protesting against Trump, he should focus on helping the countries rather than building a wall to block them out.

Protesting against Trump, he should focus on helping the countries rather than building a wall to block them out.

Protesting against Trump, he should focus on helping the countries rather than building a wall to block them out.

Meghan Molyneaux, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Trump should be focusing more on fixing broken countries rather than spending money on building a wall.

According to an article from The Guardian, “What exactly is Trump’s border wall and why does he want $5.7 billion for it?,” around 60% of Americans do not want Trump to continue extending the wall. People who are not opposed to extending it, the other 40%, statistically tend to be people who are less educated, white and older.

Many from Central America and other broken countries who are migrating to the U.S. are doing so due to several issues they have to face as they live in those countries.

The New York Times Editorial Board states: “As thousands of families fleeing violence, poverty and oppression in Central America arrive at the American border, the Trump administration has responded by separating children and parents and cracking down on asylum claims. A more humane, and effective, response would be to address the sources of the desperation that propelled these people north.”

These families need to obtain more acceptable economic development and education, as well as more secure authorities, truthful judges, and a safer environment. Trump’s main goal seems to be preventing illegal immigration, but by accomplishing these other wishes, we would certainly see a decrease in what he is trying to constrain.

“For some places, it has to do with safety [why people are migrating to North America] and their economic standing. The thing is when you compare places like Mexico or other countries to the U.S… the little things are a luxury to the people who are in Mexico… even an education. The system there is different,” San Pasqual High School senior Xiemena Barron said. “In Mexico, the universities are free, generally, it is only like a couple cents and then here it’s the opposite so over there you need to pay for your middle school, high school and it’s much harder that way so a lot of people don’t finish, there are so many people who don’t get to get to the university level because they have to pay beforehand.”

Based on a study done in 2014, it was found to be that there were less crimes by 51% percent less murder incidents and 19% less robberies in Central America due to programs managed by the U.S. Agency for International Development. This gives us a good indicator that we can help these countries more and more if we actually start to focus on the main issues, like these, rather than putting so much money and work into the border wall. The Obama Administration initiated these programs.

“The Trump Administration has maintained the U.S. Strategy for Engagement in Central America but has adjusted the initiative to place more emphasis on preventing illegal immigration, combating transnational crime, and generating export and investment opportunities for U.S. businesses,” said Peter J. Meyer, U.S. Strategy for Engagement in Central America: Policy Issues for Congress.