Boys Wrestling Goes to CIF

Sara Pickering, Staff Writer

The Boys Wrestling Southern Section CIF Championships were hosted by Fallbrook HIgh School on February 9th, 2019. San Pasqual High School had four placers, as Fernando Reyes placed second, Kameron Davis placed third, Irvin Aguilar placed seventh, and Cesar Maddox placed seventh.

Seniors who competed at CIF have one last chance to give it everything they have.

“Wrestling at CIF as a senior is bittersweet because the season is ending but its sweet because I’m just giving it everything I’ve got and leave it everything out on the mat. I’m not going to be upset with the outcome,” Davis said.

Placing higher than what you are seeded can be challenging because the competition is extremely competitive.  “I got 3rd at CIF but I was seeded at 6th so that was pretty cool placing higher than I was seeded,” Davis said.

“I felt pretty good going into CIF. I’m seeded 2nd and I placed 2nd, but I feel like I could have beat him,” junior Fernando Reyes said.

Since this is the last year to possibly place at CIF, working hard to place at CIF is crucial for seniors.

“It felt pretty good being a senior wrestling at CIF, it didn’t feel much different it was just another tournament,” said senior Irvin Aguilar. “I just knew it was going to be my last opportunity.”

By working hard and being motivated, these athletes are pushing themselves to go as far as they can.

“I was feeling very motivated because since I’m a senior I wanted to make an impact,” Aguilar added.

By working with other schools they are exposed to different types of wrestling and new moves they could learn.

“To prepare for masters, we’re practicing with Valley Center, Orange Glen, and Mission Hills which is pretty cool,” Aguilar said.