Field Hockey Juniors Travel to Florida

Keyana Leso, Staff Writer

From January 18th through the 21st, San Pasqual High School juniors on the field hockey team were invited to play in a tournament in Florida. This tournament was to help further the girls’ field hockey careers through college recruitments. Juniors Emilie Bonhivert and Emera Price were a few of the participants given this opportunity.

San Pasqual’s field hockey team had a successful season this past year. They broke Serra High School’s winning streak of 95 games, and even placed second in California Interscholastic Federation (CIF).

“No matter what the difficulties were, we stuck together, and worked hard this last season,” said Price.

The girls all love to play field hockey, and being a part of something more than a team… a family. The San Pasqual field hockey team created an unbreakable bond, which was something to which the players attribute the team’s success.

“I’ve made a family through the field hockey girls, and if I get into a good college, I can make a family and be in a good environment with the field hockey girls there,” said Bonhivert.

Recently, the girls who went to the tournament in Florida were able to demonstrate their skills to a plethora of college coaches while playing and competing with girls from across the country, including Connecticut, Delaware, and more.

“It was a good experience to meet all the East Coast girls, and it was fun to be in a new environment to play in,” said Bonhivert.

With many college coaches being there, this enabled recruitment. Some of the colleges included Boston University, Ohio Wesleyan University, Roanoke College, and others. The San Pasqual girls who went were given a few offers.

“I got two offers: one from Boston University, and the other from Gwynedd Mercy University, ” said Price.

Bonhivert and Price believe that this tournament in Florida was a great chance to help them in their continuation of playing field hockey. They all aspire to play field hockey at a college level, and this tournament provided a path for them in order to do so.

“I personally love playing field hockey, and given the opportunity to play in college, I would take it right away,” said Bonhivert.