Women’s March 2019 is attended by San Pasqual Students

Karina Ramos

San Pasqual students attend 2019 Women’s March.

Karina Ramos, Editor

Women marched for their rights for the third time on January 19, 2019. The women’s march was first held on January 17, 2017 to protest Donald Trump’s presidency and to make a statement about the offensive comments he has said about women.

President Donald Trump has offended many women since his election commenced; as a result, this worldwide march has been held every year since 2017. During the event, everyone gathers together to march for equal rights and in support for women. Women have been fighting for equal rights for many years and still continue to strive for it.

“It is a gathering for a community of people to come together and support each other and just to spread a message to the world and our country,” Tessa Thorn, junior at San Pasqual High School said.

Not only women attend this movement; anyone who supports this cause comes together to march for equality. Everyone marches for their beliefs and what they think should be different in this world.

“People were saying he’s a rapist or has sexually assaulted women and they aren’t doing anything about it. [Also that] he’s talking for us about our bodies, like abortion and how we shouldn’t abort. He’s a man talking for women. It’s our decisions… it’s (sic) our body and not his,” Alissa De Alba, junior at San Pasqual High School said.

At the 2019 Women’s March, the theme was “Truth to Power.” At the march that took place on January 19, 2019, many chants were yelled about immigration, Donald Trump, and the things that the President has said that have upset many.

“We’re marching for equal rights and opportunities. It could be for anything: it could be for wages, it could just be for being treated equally on the streets… kinda whatever you want it to be,” Thorn said.

Thousands gathered together worldwide to come together and fight for what they believe, and the march allows people to take away whatever they make of it.

“If you agree that everyone should be equal and that everyone has a voice – we are equal and we should have that respect and stuff like that, and if you agree with that – you should go. It’s really fun and a positive experience,” Thorn said.

Everyone is welcomed. The women’s march is held every year on the third Saturday of January. It takes place in downtown San Diego.