Hour Of Code

Yvonne Lara, Staff Writer

Computer Science Education week has arrived in full force for 2018.

It is an annual week long celebration in recognition of Admiral Grace Murray Hopper, a computing pioneer from the early 1900s.  The Hour of Code is a nationwide movement that consists of hour long sessions designed to introduce people of all backgrounds to computer science and broaden their understanding of what “code” is. This year, San Pasqual High School signed on for the opportunity for students to participate in the sessions held for one week only, Dec. 3rd through 9th. By bringing the Hour of Code to SPHS, the goal is to continue to introduce San Pasqual students to the field of computer science.

Every student should have the opportunity to learn computer science. It helps nurture problem-solving skills, logic and creativity,” said a spokesperson from the Computer Science Education Week Advisory and Review Committee. “By starting early, students will have a foundation for success in any 21st-century career path.”

Students from SPHS who participated in the hour long session had positive reviews about it.

Among the students who were able to participate in the Hour of Code was San Pasqual senior, Sophia Evanoff who stated it was her first time ever learning about code.

“It was definitely different from anything I’ve ever done before but it was interesting to see how computer science stuff fits into our everyday life,” Evanoff said.

Lisa Brown, a San Pasqual alum and teacher at the high school, was also positively impacted by the exciting opportunity and said that although she is older, learning about code and participating in the session has opened her eyes to potential new opportunities that she can give to her students in the future.  

“The class itself was great to get kids who had no idea about [coding] to get introduced to what it is and for the kids who do have experience with it, it was great to see them have an opportunity to use their skills and improve on them,” Brown said.